.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

It's Always Something

The trials and tribulations of your almost normal wacked-out mid-western several-times-over blended family.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Friday, February 03, 2006

Becky Homecky Volume 5 How to Fight Aging


Ok, this picture has nothing to do with the rest of the post, but I just found it and needed to share.


How To Fight Aging

1. Eat your vegetables
2. Get Plenty of Rest
3. Do NOT, under any circumstances, carry on a music conversation with anyone more than 5 minutes younger than you

Setting:

Amy's kitchen, about 7pm.
Participants:

Amy age 34
Reed age 11


Reed: Hey, Can I copy some of your music off of your computer onto my iPod?

Amy: Sure, most of my stuff is on my mp3 player at work, but I'm sure you can find something. (She set him up, opens music files)

Reed: WOW! You have Styx?!

Amy: Um, it's not mine, I think that's from Ross.

Reed: Awesome!!! You have The Who!

Amy: Oh. My. God.

Reed: Cool!!! Oh, I already have all the Beatles stuff and Aerosmith, too. Hrmmm...WOW, ACDC!"

Amy: (Mentally banging her head on the wall) Well, gee, I have Pink Floyd on vinyl, too.

Reed: Um, what's vinyl?

Amy hangs her head, goes back to the PUZZLE, and decides life is just to insane for words.

Oh, and I HATE Styx. Whenever I hear Come Sail Away, I want to beat the radio until it's dead.

So, later in the cube farm, I decided to ask my cohorts this question:

When did you realize that:
A. You were old
or
B. You had become your parents
and
C. What did you do to keep yourself from hanging yourself right then and there?


Kathleen: When lying on the floor to watch TV hurt my ribcage and when cheeseburgers were no longer the ONLY thing on the fast food menu. Oh, and I keep forgetting things I’ve already done.

Roberta: like Ross's music selection! Um...what is wrong with Styx? I'll admit I can't think of a song that they sing, but I don't recall hating them...

A. Every day it's a new discovery for me...does that mean I'm senile?
B. I've always been a lot like my folks, mostly my mom
C. A & B have never really bothered me...could that mean I'm senile?

Kathleen: Oh, and I keep forgetting things I'’ve already done.

Phil:
A - when I was about 12.
B - I still aspire to be anti-my parents. So if I am, I'm oblivious.
C - The rope broke.

Nathan:
A. When my cousin didn't know who Mr. T was. It eventually occurred to her that he was the guy on the phone commercialal. Or maybe it was the time that my friend's then girlfriend didn't know that Paula Abdul used to be a singer.

B. When I began going to Target just for toilet paper and kitty litter and not XBox games or CDs. Or when I started going to Cub and not hitting the candy isle.

C. Someday Vanilla Ice will make his comeback!

Kathleen: Oh, and I keep forgetting things I’ve already done.

I would have asked James this question, but I don't think he's there yet, since I'm not sure what he did last night, but I think it was WAY MORE FUN that sitting at a dining room table putting together hundreds of little purple pieces of cardboard. I know he went out last night, but I'm not sure where, since he gave up asking me to go since I always say "no, but thanks for asking!" Plus, he's limping. I'd ask...but I'm afraid to know the answer so I'll just use my imagination and I bet I'll still not come close.

Personally, I think I realized I was old when I decided I'd rather stay home than go to First Avenue and go dancing. The idea of staying up past 11pm kinda freaks me out. Actually, I go out so rarely, I am on my way to becoming a recluse like my father. Do I hear a "YEA! FOR HERMITS!!"

One of the nice things about getting older is being so much more comfortable with who you are. Yes, I am still hard on myself for many, many things (anal-Virgo, remember??!!) But for the most part, I am very happy with who I am and I love my life. I am happily married (most days) and I have great kids (most days).

I've also been saving the best for last:


I FINISHED THE DAMN PUZZLE YA'LL!!!!

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home