.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

It's Always Something

The trials and tribulations of your almost normal wacked-out mid-western several-times-over blended family.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

It's wrong...very, very wrong.

But it makes me laugh. I fear that some dog "karma" will strike me down for doing that to my pets, but, alas, it will be worth it. Jack was holding them veeeeeeerrrrrrry still for the picture. I couldn't believe out of all the Halloween pictures we took, I actually had none with his head on. We took this on Sunday, November 6th.

We had a quiet weekend, I had lunch with Todd's mother, Joanne, Jessica, and a couple other women of the family. We went to Green Mill and though the food was ok, I remembered why I hate to eat out. I can cook better. Is that snobby? Probably. But, it's true. I can say Oceanaire was really good, even though we all know I don't eat fish or anything of the like. I did TRY the herring (it was icky) and the crab cakes, which were pretty good...for crab cakes.

Tonight, we are having butternut squash ravioli with roasted carrots and onions, thin strips of bacon, and a sauce to knock your socks off. Oh, and I baked bread yesterday. This is why we don't eat out. Dessert you ask? Why, Halloween candy stolen from the child's goodie bag, of course! Jack is a great sharer of his booty, so we don't really steal it, but that sounds better.

I spent yesterday evening working with Jack on math. He is working on memorizing his multiplication tables and 3 column adding and subtracting. I WILL convince someone other than myself that this child should be placed in AP classes. He says "WOW! 634 minus 397 is 237? That's so FUN!" I look at him like he's insane, then remember *I* am the mother and need to pretend I learned all this stuff when I was his age. When in reality, I was in 4th grade and switched schools and almost flunked math because I was the only kid who didn't know multiplication. I spent the whole summer memorizing all the tables with my grandmother up north at the lake. It was one of the worst memories of my childhood. I really and truly thought I should have been riding the special short bus to school.

Today, Jack had karate, we practiced piano, and we have an appointment with his therapist after school. I really look forward to these since I think that it's really important for Jack to feel like he has an adult to talk to that is an impartial third party. I think it's helping. I know it's helped me a lot to be able to let go of some of the crap his father does. Babysteps, and somedays....wine. Lots and lots of wine.

(and no, Mother, I really don't drink much wine, because it's bad for me and my ulcer and I take my vitamins every day, all 28 of them. I swear.)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home