.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

It's Always Something

The trials and tribulations of your almost normal wacked-out mid-western several-times-over blended family.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Monday, October 03, 2005

O Happy Monday

I wish I could say I started this day with a sunny disposition and a light hearted smile, but it's humid and sticky and has been for three days and my mood matches the grey cloudy sky. On the upside, I'm breaking in my new cute clogs, so it's not all bad.
Jack has earned his first "badge" for Cub Scouts. We went over all of the Bobcat stuff last night and I learned the secret boy scout handshake. I feel so honored. This is my first exposure to this kind of group...I never partook as a child so it's all new ground. There was a big part that I had to go over with him regarding child abuse and molestation and all that stuff. I think the fact that I already told Jack about the "birds and the bees" helped, but it was still kinda creepy. How do you explain to your kid that some people are just whacko's and want to hurt children? Ick. The whole thing is just gross. But he made it through it, and so did I (phew!) and he earned the badge, so we get to go buy him a new uniform with all the pretty badges. I can't decide if it's a really good thing or just really dorky. I'm still trying to convince Todd he has to wear the uniform, too. so far, he's not buying it.
We had a nice weekend with the kids. We saw Corpse Bride on Saturday...I haven't been able to decide if Tim Burton is a genius or a nutcase. Jack has been playing a lot with a boy from his class by the name of Luke. He came with us to the movie and we also went to Game Works. I'm glad he has finally found someone he likes to hang out with that doesn't annoy him to no end. Hrmmmmm, I think somehow this is my fault. Something about apples? Acorns? We hit the downtown theater and picked up our tickets for Ray LaMontagne in December. We got row 2!!! It better be really good or I'm gonna throw rotten fruit at him. At that range, I may actually be able to hit something, too.
I repainted the kitchen and yes, I did just paint it a while ago. I hated it. Now it matches the floor, so it doesn't look so out of place. I love it. Remember, I put the anal in analyst.
Thursday, Jessica had her 29th birthday. Yes, 29! I know, she barely looks legal. She's going to be 50 and look like she's finally 29. She's also convinced that she is getting dumber by the minute. I keep telling her she needs to find a nice guy and give me grandchildren. She thinks I'm nuts. Like we didn't all know that already???!! But seriously, I'd love grandkids, you get to borrow them, spoil them, and give them back when they get whiney.
Speaking of whiney...I got the Halloween decorations down from the attic (ok, it was me whining about crawling up there and no one helping because Dumb and Dumber was playing on the tv which had the lot of them transfixed like deer in the headlights). No, we don't have a "real" attic, but since we ran out of storage space last year, especially with the addition of the 3 foot non-collapsable fiber optic stacked pumpkins that we just HAD TO HAVE when we saw them at Sams Club, we have resorted to storing stuff on top of the insulation in the crawl space.
One really good lesson learned: do not, under any circumstances, store candles up there. What used to be our pretty fall decorations were turned into something that resembled a gigantic mass of hard play-doh. One of the cute little votive holders with a little black kitty on it had fused into the side of one of my tall pillar candles, looking like it had apparated in the wrong place. Poor kitty. We did manage to save him after about 20 minutes in the oven. A little frazzled, but I think he'll recover.
The foam carvable pumpkins look awesome. It's fun to see them again, we always pick the really fancy designs to do on those since we get to save them for years. I almost feel like a total cheat. Almost, but not quite. And Jack decided that, yes, he wants to have another Halloween party. I just asked him to try to keep it to around 10 kids. Not that 18 aren't a lot of fun, but the chaos we had last year had me recovering for a week in a dark room rocking back and forth non stop. We shall see, more ideas and miraculous party planning required by Mom.
I'm going back to work, stay tuned for my adventure at my very first scrapbooking meeting (yes, Todd warned me that scrapbooking IS grounds for divorce in most states) and Art Adventure year 2. This year I talked my husband into joining me. Muah-ha-ha-ha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home