.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

It's Always Something

The trials and tribulations of your almost normal wacked-out mid-western several-times-over blended family.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Friday, December 23, 2005

JOY to the World!

There are some people in this world that you meet and you think, hrmmm, what is up with them? They are always happy and friendly and outgoing and always say "HI!" and seem like they have the most wonderful disposition and outlook on life. Kinda like Elmo, or Big Bird, or Mr. Rogers. We are, obviously, not talking about me. As a matter of fact, one of my friends says that I am so critical of others that she isn't talking to me... Now, I beg to differ on that point, most of the time, but I do have my moments and some people are just too easy of a target. I never do or say anything out of maliciousness, or to be mean but I do let off-handed comments leave my lips (or fingers) more often than not (remember that guy from the bank with the weed-wacker hair) and I also have a husband to not only encourages my snarkiness, but makes me seem very tame in comparison. So here is the point of this post: I'm a bad person and will make my New Years Resolution to be more like my friend Joy.

I work with Joy and I have, kind of, known her since I started working at Gmac about 2+ years ago. She always greeted me with a smile, and a "How are you?" like she actually cared. Then a few months ago, she was moved into one of the cubicles next to me.
When it's Joy's turn for treat day, she brings in enough food not only for our team, the neighbors team, the team next to them, but the WHOLE DANG FLOOR!
The weekend after Thanksgiving, she brought in these cute stuffed cows that MOO's Deck the Halls for about a dozen of us. Joy's friend makes handmade soap, so she bought enough to give all of us a bar, then two. The worst thing I have ever heard pass her lips is "Training people is really hard work and then I feel like I don't have time to get my own work done." That's it. She was born and raised in Georgia in a poor family, but has a heart as big as Texas and is the most generous person I know, not just with money, but I mean a truly caring and giving person.
Last week, she plopped several Pampered Chef things on my desk and said "Merry Christmas, I know you really like to cook, I went to this party a few weeks ago." I was flabberghasted. I said, "Joy, I can't take this from you! This must have cost a fortune!" She told me that she "adopts" a few co-workers to give things to at Christmas time, and I was the recipient this year, but won't be next year, so just enjoy, and last year it was a single mom who needed to get her car fixed.


I felt so unworthy.

Ok, so her excuse was that I give her vitamins when she's sick and give her tea in the afternoons and I brought her English Toffee and truffles that I had made. I've invited her to dinner at our house, since she lives in Missori and travels up here to work, so her "home" up here is the Residence Inn...but we all know I feed everyone and bring food, tea, and vitamins to all since I have that leftover 70's health-nut mothering syndrome from MY mom.

So, to sum it all up, I resolve to be a better person, tame my temper, keep my nasty and snarky thoughts to myself, and to eat more fiber.

I wish you all a Happy New Year and I will fill you all in about our ski trip when we get back, since I'm finishing this post from a library in Breckenridge.

Peace to all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home